Activity of the Week – One-Metre Dash
YPlay Learning Resources for Kids November 22, 2021
What do you need:
- a metre stick or a tape measure
- a pencil
- a piece of paper
How to play the game:
- Look around the room and pick out 3 items that you think their length would add up to exactly 1 metre (that’s 100 centimetres).
- Bring back your items without measuring them.
- Once everyone has gathered three items, each person can start measuring the length of their items, write down each measurement, and see if they add up to 1 meter. Note: For students who haven’t learned how to read a ruler, just hold the items up to the metre stick in a row.
- The player with the closest measurement to 1 metre will get a point!
- In the next round, you can pick out 4 items instead, or 1 item, or even 5!
- After 5 rounds, the player with the most points is the winner!
These YMCA Beyond the Bell activities support the program goals to: Realize Academic Achievement | Improve Health and Wellness | Explore Culture & Creativity | Develop Social Skills.
Donors to the YMCA make Beyond the Bell possible.